Did you know that your skin loses more than 25% of its ability to hold moisture in the wintertime? As the colder weather creeps in, the air becomes drier and actually pulls moisture from your skin. Not only that, but your heaters and fireplaces also have a dehydrating and drying effect.
Take a look at these five tips from PALM Health’s lead esthetician, Tommy Tenholder, on how to adjust your skincare routine during the colder months.
- Swap out your base products. When the cold weather rolls around, it’s time to pull out a different set of skincare products. With the winter air pulling moisture out of your skin, it’s important to look for products that will replenish that hydration. Opt for a creamier cleanser, a heavier moisturizer, and a hydrating toner.
Tommy recommends the Vie Collection Mesoforce Hydrating Revitalizing Cream for a thicker wintertime moisturizer.
- Break out the mechanical exfoliant. In the summer, you want to keep oil and sweat off your skin as much as possible, but when winter comes along, increasing your skin’s oil production with a mechanical exfoliant will help it retain moisture. And who doesn’t love a good scrub? Mechanical exfoliants use small particles to buff your skin, which prompts it to produce more oil and maintain the moisture balance. Exfoliate once a week, and follow up with a masque.
- Choose your serums and masques wisely. Serums and masques are important components of your skincare routine. In the winter, you can choose specific serums and masques that will support your skin’s moisture balance and combat any damage from the summertime. Look for vitamin C serums, which protect against abrasion from wind and precipitation, and masques that are geared toward fixing hyperpigmentation.
Try adding the Revision Hydrating Serum to your daytime and nighttime winter skincare routines.
- Start fresh with an aesthetic procedure. Have you been meaning to refresh your skin, but aren’t sure how to do it on your own? Try coming in for a facial with an esthetician. Facials are a great way to “start over” and give your skin a much-needed boost of hydration and radiance going into the winter.
PALM Health offers a Modern Express Facial that covers all the essentials—cleansing, exfoliation, extraction, and a masque. Your esthetician will take your skin needs and preferences into account and will choose a product line that best fits your skin.
- Maintain some of your summer habits. Although your base products should rotate between the seasons, there are some summer habits that are worth hanging onto. You’ve probably heard of “drinking and eating your water” in the summertime heat, but this is equally as important in the winter to help your skin stay hydrated from the inside out.
Second, it’s still important to be diligent with SPF. You may think of sunscreen as a summer product, but really, you should use it year-round. Even if you’re spending less time outside when it’s cold, the sunlight is reflected by snow on the ground, which intensifies the UV effects on your skin. So, don’t throw out your SPF just because the seasons are changing.
Want some more guidance? Drop by the front desk at PALM and ask Tommy, our lead esthetician, for a personalized skin care tip!
PALM Health is an innovative, whole-person medical and wellness company that helps people reach and maintain well-being. Our experts in medicine and wellness empower people to transform their health, become more resilient, and feel their personal best in mind and body.