There are hundreds of vitamins and dietary supplements out there, and it can be overwhelming to navigate which ones are best for you, which ones you need a doctor’s recommendation for, and which ones are the best quality.
That’s why our doctors and supplement experts at PALM have put together a guide with 7 staple supplements that everyone should consider taking to support everyday health.
When it comes to your general, day-to-day health, some top areas to focus on include sleep, energy, inflammation, muscular health, immunity, and gut health.
These supplements each target at least one of those areas — plus, they are all safe to take without a specific recommendation from a doctor. (If you are pregnant, you should always consult with your doctor before taking any supplements.)
- For sleep: magnesium. Magnesium is arguably the most important mineral in the body, which acts on almost every pathway. Most notably, it influences the nervous system to promote calm, which helps you wind down at the end of the day and feel ready to go to bed. It can help you get a deeper and more restful night’s sleep, especially when you choose a supplement that is chelated with an amino acid (like magnesium glycinate) for higher absorption. Our favorite option: PALM Mag
- For energy and mood: B vitamins. B vitamins support neurological and stress-related functions that ultimately can give you a daily energy boost and improve mood fluctuations. Forms of B vitamins that are pre-methylated (or pre-activated) are already ready to be absorbed by your body as fully as possible. Our favorite option: PALM Active B
- For inflammation: curcumin. Curcumin is a supplement made from turmeric, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory tool for both general and localized pain and other inflammation-related symptoms. Our favorite option: PALM Curcumin
- For muscular health: protein powder. Protein powder is an easy and effective way to boost your protein intake to support muscle growth and repair, which can help you maintain muscle mass and strength as you age. This can in turn improve your bone strength, balance, and mobility. Our favorite: PALM Vegan Complete Protein Powder
- For immunity: ascorbic acid. Ascorbic acid, better known as vitamin C, is an essential for immunity that you’ve likely heard of which helps your body fight off inflammation and infection by increasing the antioxidant levels in your bloodstream. Our favorite: Pure Encapsulations Ascorbic Acid
- For gut health: L-glutamine. L-glutamine is an amino acid supplement that repairs and strengthens the intestinal wall and gut lining for proper, full nutrient absorption from your food. Our favorite: PALM L-Glutamine
- For everyday nutrition: multivitamin. You can’t go wrong with a good multinutrient supplement, which encapsulates many of the vitamins and minerals that people are commonly deficient in. This helps you fill in the gaps where your nutrient intake from food may not be quite enough. Our favorite: PALM Multi
It’s also important to make sure you’re buying good quality supplements. When you’re looking for supplements, make sure they check these three boxes:
- They are made with the highest quality raw ingredients, so you’re not ingesting artificial fillers.
- They are verified by a third-party, so they have undergone extensive quality checks and testing.
- They are highly bioavailable, so your body will absorb the maximum amount of nutrients.
All of our vitamins and supplements at PALM Health meet those criteria. You can shop for our supplements online or in-store.
Dietary supplements are a simple and smart way to improve your sleep, energy, inflammation, muscular health, immunity, and gut health — areas in which most people could use some support.
With this list of 7 staple PALM supplements from our doctors and experts to add to your kitchen cabinet, you can take a step towards better overall health on the daily.
PALM Health is an innovative lifestyle medicine and wellness center that offers a comprehensive range of advanced medical and wellness services, empowering people to transform their health and feel their best in mind and body.