Dr. Varsha Rathod shares her “no excuse” recipe for Frozen Veggie Crock-Pot Soup that she mentions in the live webinar, Eating Well During COVID-19. Prepare this simple recipe when you have minimal time to shop and cook.
- 2 packets of frozen vegetables (I picked Organic Foursome from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 packet of frozen leeks (Trader Joe’s did not have it, so I bought trimmed fresh leeks and coarsely chopped it. You may also use frozen onions.)
- 2 boxes of vegetable broth
- 2 cans of great northern or cannellini beans
- 1 box of diced tomatoes (could be made optional)
- 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch of crushed red pepper (okay to use the packs from pizza boxes)
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- An electric Crock-Pot OR an Instant Pot (cooked at the lowest setting for 10 minutes) OR an old-fashioned Dutch Oven (use is similar to a Crock-Pot)
- Empty all ingredients into the Crock-Pot.
- Turn the heat setting to high until it begins to boil.
- Then turn to low and cook for 1 hour. Stir a few times, taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.
- If you like texture, you can use an immersion blender and blend for 10 seconds, just to create some thickness to the soup. Alternatively, you can smash a quarter can of beans and add it to the soup prior to putting it into the Crock-Pot.
- Serve soup by itself in a pasta bowl. You may have pasta, bread, or rice on the side.
- For extra flavor, you can add some pesto to your soup at the table.
Dr. Varsha Rathod