Varsha’s Favorite Vegan Crab Cakes
Dr. Varsha Rathod, rheumatologist and functional medicine physician at PALM Health, shares her favorite vegan crab cakes recipe for delicious appetizers or a healthy dinner.
- 2 cans of hearts of palm, chopped up medium-sized. Save some liquid.
- 2 tbsp of vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp of old bay seasoning
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped shallots/onions
- 1/3 cup mixture of mixed finely chopped celery and red bell pepper
- ¼ cup of finely chopped parsley (Italian or curly)
- ½ cup of chickpea flour (besan)
- ½ tsp salt
- Dash of black pepper
- ¾ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Dash of cayenne
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp avocado oil for cooking the cakes
Tartar Sauce (optional):
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp of kosher dill pickles finely chopped, or use capers
- ½ tbsp of chopped parsley
- ¼ tsp dry dill
- ¼ tsp old bay seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Hand-shape the size of the patties that you desire, either cocktail-size or larger for a dinner portion. If the mixture is too dry, add some of the liquid from the cans of hearts of palm, one tablespoon at a time.
- Dip the patties in the breading mix and lightly pan-sauté until golden brown on both sides.
- Mix ingredients well and refrigerate. Add more mayonnaise if desired.
These vegan crab cakes are great plated on a large bed of salad, or as cocktail appetizers. Dr. Rathod recommends preparing the mix, keeping it refrigerated for up to 5 days, and making it fresh as needed.