Immunity Soup Recipe from Dr. Basima Williams
Astragalus root is a natural dietary supplement that has been used to boost the body’s immune system. Dr. Basima Williams, integrative and functional medicine physician, recommends the following recipe for Immunity Soup to support your health.
- 7 pieces astragalus root (I purchase mine from Amazon)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger mashed into a paste
- 3 cloves garlic mashed with the ginger
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium purple onion, diced
- 1.5 cups carrots, diced
- 1.5 cups celery, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 cups cooked black beans (cooked ahead of time)
- Salt (optional)
- To make the ginger and garlic paste, chop ginger and garlic and mash together using a mortar and pestle or herb grinder.
- Mix all ingredients together, except for the black beans.
- Allow mixture to simmer for about 1-2 hours depending on desired texture of vegetables.
- Remove the bay leaves and astragalus root.
- Soup is ready to serve as is, but to make it heartier and creamy, blend one cup of the soup mixture along with 3/4 cups black beans. Pour this mixture back into the soup along with the rest of the black beans for a creamy, full-flavored soup.
- Salt to taste if needed.
- Serve alongside pita chips, crackers, or rice.
Dr. Basima Williams