Root Vegetable Salad Recipe from Dr. Varsha Rathod
We all know the importance of washing our hands and social distancing to keep our immune system healthy, but what about improving your immune health from the inside out? Our immune system is linked to our gut microbiome, so maintaining a healthy gut is crucial to preventing illness. Dr. Varsha Rathod, integrative and functional medicine physician, recommends the following recipe for Russian Root Vegetable Salad to support your gut health.
- 1 medium-sized beet, peeled, cubed, and boiled by itself with a little salt
- 1 big carrot, scrubbed and diced
- 2 medium yukon gold or red potatoes, peeled, diced, and boiled to al dente firmness with carrots
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon raw unfiltered sunflower oil (get the Russian or Ukranian brands from Global Foods) or ¼ cup of dry roasted and ground sunflower seeds
- Optional: garnishing herbs such as parsley or tarragon
- Mix all three root veggies in a bowl with sunflower oil, salt, and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley or tarragon.
- Serve cold. Keeps well for about five days, refrigerated.
Bon appétit and happy gut health to you!
Dr. Varsha Rathod