For a hearty, satisfying meal that keeps you feeling full for longer, dietitian Victoria Nieveen recommends butternut squash stuffed with turkey and quinoa, perfect for a chilly autumn day.
- 2 medium-sized butternut squash
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 honeycrisp apple, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp rosemary
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- salt and pepper to flavor
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Slice butternut squash lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a dash of salt.
- Lay face down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes (should be soft enough to pierce with a fork).
- While the squash is roasting, cook the ground turkey until browned. Add onion, diced apple, celery, and spices. Cook until onion, celery, and apple are soft.
- In a separate pot, cook quinoa according to instructions.
- Once cooked through, take squash out of the oven. Add the quinoa to the meat and stir. Spoon the filling into the butternut squash.
- Vegetarian Option: Add northern beans or chickpeas instead of ground turkey.
Dietitian Victoria Nieveen