Quinoa Salad Recipe from Katheryn Scauzzo
Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a nutrient-dense gluten-free grain with a low glycemic index. Often referred to as a superfood, quinoa is a quality source of complex carbohydrates and fiber that contains all nine essential amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein. Dietitian Katheryn Scauzzo recommends the following recipe for Quinoa Salad to support your health and immune system. Serves 6.
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp minced garlic, fresh
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place quinoa in fine mesh strainer and drain.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the broth and quinoa and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, keep covered for 5 minutes. Remove lid and fluff quinoa with a fork.
- While quinoa is cooking, make the dressing: mix vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl, whisk, and place in the refrigerator.
- After quinoa has cooled, place in a large bowl, and stir in the tomatoes, carrots, red pepper, English cucumber, red onion, and basil.
Dietitian Katheryn Scauzzo