Nurse practitioner Sarah Bird shares a healthy spring salad recipe that can be used as a side dish or served with protein for a satisfying lunch.
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 cups torn mixed tender herbs. Use any mix of mint, parsley, cilantro, basil, or dill. They are all great together, so just pick your favorites or what seems fresh in your garden or at the store.
- 2 medium carrots, ribboned into thin slices using a peeler
- 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Vegetarian option: Add Great Northern beans
- Toss arugula and herbs together. Top with the ribboned carrots.
- Finely grate the zest of the lemon over the salad.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice from 1/2 lemon over the salad.
- Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss again to coat the entire salad.
- This salad is great for a meal topped with salmon or grilled chicken, or as a side served with egg dishes at brunch.
Sarah Bird, DNP